[Wrf-users] Heating rates as output of WRF!

José Augusto paixão Veiga veiga at cptec.inpe.br
Thu Apr 20 11:55:35 MDT 2006

Hi dears,
During my researches on heat balance, using the thermodynamic equation, I have
benn calculated heating rates as a residual form from this equation. However, it
just show me an aproximation of the sum of all terms involved in this equation,
like radiative heating (short and longwaves - Qsw, Qlw), latent heating (Ql) and
sensible heating (Qs). All those variables are diabatic heating rates and are
completely model dependent. Their units are in K/s. In the NCEP CD (climatology)
we find:
CNVHR - convective heating rate
LRGHR - large scale heating rate
LWHR  - longwave heating rate
SWRH  - shortwave heating rate
SHAHR - shalow heating rate

where the first two make part of the Ql (latent heating), the thirdy and the
fourty make part of the Qr (radiative heating) and the last one appers to be
part of the Qs (sensible heating rate).

All those are in pressure levels (x,y,z,t).
My question:

What must I do to have this variables in my WRF output? Have I change the code
or just to write the correct name of the variables in my control_file archieve
(WRF2GrADS)?.

Thanks in advance.

José Augusto

--
                  José Augusto Paixão Veiga
   Centro de Previsão de Tempo e Estudos Climáticos (CPTEC)