[Wrf-users] Question about namelist

Brian Jewett jewett at atmos.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 16 09:38:27 MST 2005

Veiga,

It sounds like you are starting from the namelist and working from there.  I
would encourage you to take a step back and look at some of the documentation,
so the namelist makes more sense.

Tutorial information online:
  http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/tutorial_presentation.htm
WRF Users' Guide online:
 http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide/contents.html

If you just want to take a look at the namelist, consult this page:

      http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv2/wrf-namelist.html

For your specific questions:

>how can I obtain information about dx (max_dom), and dy (max_dom), that is
>located in namelist, for my choosed domain. It is a real running instead of ideal

The dx and dy should have been set when you created your "real" domain.  You
set them in the namelist to match how your domain was created in the first
place.  If you have used the WRFSI, you can look in (typically) the file:
 wrfsi/domains/name-of-your-domain/static/wrfsi.nl to see your grid size (XDIM
and YDIM), your grid spacing in km (MOAD_DELTA_X and MOAD_DELTA_Y), etc.

>Another thing is:
>what means?
>e_we = 91 (end point),    112 (?),   94(?),
>why it isn't like this?
>e_we = 91 (end point),    91     ,   91,

Each column of numbers refers to a different grid.  If you see three numbers
across, those could refer to the grid sizes (in this case, the x-dimension)
for a coarse grid and two nested grids.  The numbers used by WRF depends on
max_dom, which is the the number of domains you are actually going to run.  So
there may be three (or more) columns of numbers, but if max_dom=1, only the
first column is being used by real.exe or wrf.exe.  In addition, there is no
reason why multiple domains need be the same size, so more often than not the
numbers for e_we will differ from one another.

Again, the documentation is well done and I think you will find it quite
helpful to look at the pages mentioned above.

    Brian
Brian F. Jewett, Ph.D
Research Scientist & Instructor, University of Illinois
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Email:  bjewett at uiuc.edu
Ph:  (217) 333-3957 (W), 244-4393 (fax)