[Wrf-users] wrfsi problem & solution

Graziano Giuliani giuliani at lamma.rete.toscana.it
Mon Oct 17 08:12:32 MDT 2005

Dear all in WRF,
I have met a problem in WRFSI code for reading GRIB1 coded data in program
grib_prep.exe with SI version 2.1.

I have an ECMWF coded grib file with unusually large reference values for some
values, i.e. GEOPOT with BDS_Ref 3.04182e+11. This is coded in IBM floating
point with a LARGE exponent !

To make this value OK in gribcode.F, I have to modify the code at approx line
1620, forcing type conversion BEFORE elevating :

[...]
! Get the reference value:
     call gbyte_g1(grec, isign, iskip, 1)
     iskip = iskip + 1
     isign = -2*isign+1
     call gbyte_g1(grec, ichar, iskip, 7)
     iskip = iskip + 7
     call gbyte_g1(grec, iman, iskip, 24)
     iskip = iskip + 24
     xec4(1) = float(isign) * 2.**(-24.0) * float(iman) *  &  ! HERE
               (16.0**(float(ichar-64)))                      ! HERE
[...]

Hope to save time to other folks...

        Graziano.

--
                             \ | /
                             (@ @)

 LaMMA - Laboratorio per la Meteorologia e la Modellistica Ambientale
         Laboratory for Meteorology and Environmental Modelling
 Via Madonna del Piano, 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI)

     tel: + 39 055 4483049
     fax: + 39 055 444083
     web: www.lamma.rete.toscana.it
  e-mail: giuliani at lamma.rete.toscana.it