[Wrf-users] Varying vertical resolution in nests

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Tue Jul 26 19:58:46 MDT 2005

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to vary the vertical, in
addition to the horizontal, resolution in WRFSI and
subsequently in the WRF runs. We're wanting to run
a nested model starting at 36km, down to 12km, and
then down to 4km. We'd like about 80 levels at the
4km horizontal resolution, but much fewer levels
at the coarser resolution. Is this possible to set up?

I'm only a computer scientist, but the meteorologist I
work with says this was possible with MM5. I don't
see an "obvious" way to do this in WRFSI/WRF, but
I could easily be missing something.

Thanks,

Don
   Don Morton                      http://www.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
   Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
   Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the
most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
-Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)