[Wrf-users] Cannot read a GRIB file using "gribprint.exe" (WRFSI problem)

AMEC Weather marineops.ee.stj at amec.com
Sat May 14 23:51:42 MDT 2005

Good morning,

We're trying to get WRF, WRFSI going on a Dell system (Pentium 4 processor,
Fedora Core 1, "little-endian").

We've experimented with the Intel FORTRAN and PGI FORTRAN compiler.

Some notes...

WRFSI code can be compiled using Intel FORTRAN (ifort 8.1), but several
changes to the makefiles must be made, and we found
it necessary to rename Fortran source code, e.g.,   <file>.f  to <file>.f90
and so forth.

Only a minor change to a C program file, and a minor change to the makefile
(makefile_pc.inc.in) were needed to get code to compile.

Makefile excerpt:

CC=pgcc
DEFS=-Di686 -DLINUX -DBIT32 -DF90 -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DDYNAMIC
DBCFLAGS= -g -DDEBUG-1 $(DEFS)

FC    = pgf90

FFLAGS = $(INC) -g
..
FIXED=-Mfixed
FREE=-Mfree
..
CPP = pgf90 -E
MACHTYPE = pc

(other lines omitted here).

No changes were made to any source code file, save the file "cio.c" --
modification made in bold
#if defined (SGI) || ... || define (LINUX)
#define copen  copen_
(other lines omitted here)

The above makefile was used when compiling the executable "gribprint.exe",
which I used as a test to see if I could read a (valid) GRIB file.

gribprint -V    <gribfile>              (GFS data, downloaded from FSL,
verified elsewhere)

Sample output:

Copen: File = GRIBFILE.AA

Fortran Unit = 0
UNIX File descriptor: 3

End-of-record mark (7777) not found-694338816
Sec0(1) =   127133 0

GRIB SECTION 0:
     Grib Length                       :  127133
     Grib Edition                      :       1

GRIB SECTION 1:
     Length of PDS                     :  138240
     Parameter Table Version           :       0
     Center ID                         :     128
     Process ID                        :       3
     Grid ID                           :      82
     Is there a BITMAP?                :00000111
     Parameter                         :     232
     Level type                        :       3
     Height, pressure, etc             :   25607
     Year                              :       0
     Month                             :       8
     Day                               :       5
     Hour                              :       5
     Minute                            :       0
     Forecast time unit                :       0
     P1                                :       1
     P2                                :       0
     Time Range Indicator              :       0
     Number in Ave?                    :       0
     Number missing from ave?          :      10
     Century                           :       1
     Sub-center                        :       0
     Decimal scale factor              :      21

GRIB SECTION 3:
     Length of bit map section         :       0
     Number of unused bits             :       0
     Numeric                           :       0

GRIB SECTION 4:
     Length of BDS                     :       0
     0/1: grid-point or sph. harm. data:       0
     0/1: simple or complex packing    :       0
     0/1: floating or integer          :       0
     0/1: No addl flags or addl flags  :       0
     Unused bits                       :       0
     Binary Scale Factor               :       0
     Reference Value                   :        0.00000000
     Number of bits for packing        :       0

The above output is garbage, and we can't see why.

Any suggestions as to problems at our end will be accepted with humility...

Best regards,

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.