[Wrf-users] Re: Running ndown problem

Steven G Decker sgdecker at aos.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 13 12:52:47 MDT 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:42:51 -0500
> From: crystal_paulsen at und.nodak.edu
> Subject: [Wrf-users] Running ndown problem
> To: wrf-users at ucar.edu
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to run ndown for a one-way nest and am getting a floating
> point error while running ndown.
>
> For initialization of my outer domain, I used NCEP Reanalysis data.
> My domains are configured as follows:
>
> Domain 1
> 220x180  at 15 km grid spacing
> 51 vertical levels
>
> Domain 2
> 601x601 at 1 km grid spacing
> 51 vertical levels
>
> For the outer domain I generate hourly output files which I use to run
> real.exe and wrf.exe for that domain.  Then renaming real_input_d02 to
> real_input_d01 and using the output file from the 1st domain I run
> real.exe for domain 2.  Then renaming wrfinput_d02 to wrfinput_d01 and
> real_input_d01 back to real_input_d02, I try to run ndown, but it
> fails with a floating point exception.
>
> NDOWN_EM V2.0.3.1
> PREPROCESSOR
>  DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
>  -------->>>  Processing data: loop= 1   date/time = 1992-03-
> 08_06:00:00
>  loopmax =  31    ending date = 1992-03-09_12:00:00
>  file date/time = 1992-03-08_06:00:00     desired date = 1992-03-
> 08_06:00:00     status =  0
>  NDOWN_EM V2.0.3.1
> PREPROCESSOR
>  DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
>  DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
>  -------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
>  frame/module_domain.f: Failed to allocate grid%rqiblten
> (sm31:em31,sm32:em32,sm33:em33).
>  -------------------------------------------
>
> If anyone has an ideas on solving this problem it would much
> appreciated.
>
> Crystal

Crystal,

I've noticed when running the WRF that I'll sometimes get floating point
exceptions if a nested grid has a much smaller grid spacing than its
parent. In the old MM5 you needed to have a 3:1 ratio. You're using a
15:1 ratio, which seems quite high and might be the source of the
problem. Perhaps using an intermediate inner nest will solve the
problem. The WRF documentation does recommend the ratio be 4:1 or less.

Hope this helps,
Steve