[Wrf-users] WRFSI built with g95: success, but ...

Arnold Moene arnold.moene at wur.nl
Thu Feb 24 01:31:21 MST 2005

Hi,

I don't have the PG compiler available. But the first reason to try g95
was that compilation with IFC resulted in a gridgen_model.exe that was
only consuming more and more memory while it ran, until it died with a
signal 9 or signal 11 (I have 768 Mb available, that should do, I think,
for a small domain ;).
Besides, to use IFC -both in compilation and running of the resulting
binaries- I had to set the stack limit to unlimited.

I'm now trying to find out which changes to the code are needed to
compile WRF itself with g95. According to the g95-site it works, but I
haven't found information on the possible tweaks needed.

I will keep you informed.

Arnold Moene

Andrés Calderón wrote:
> It is very interesting.
>
> Do you have something about the performance? IFC vs PGI vs g95?
>
> thanks,
>
>  -- Andres Calderon
>
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:23:16 +0100, Arnold Moene <arnold.moene at wur.nl> wrote:
>
>>L.S.,
>>
>>After some tweaking and contact with the main developer of the GNU Fortran 95
>>compiler (g95) I've managed to build WRFSI with g95 (version gcc version 4.0.0
>>20050129 (experimental) (g95!) Feb 16 2005) on Linux i586.
>>
>>The changes I had to make are listed below, with some comments to explain the
>>reasons for the changes. Apart from a number of defendable changes, there also
>>appeared to be a number of non-standard constructs in the code (according to
>>Andy Vaught, g95 developer). It would be nice if those non-standard things
>>could be changed.
>>
>>I hope this is useful to others.
>>
>>Regards, Arnold Moene
>>
>>PS: Here comes the diff (comments preceded by #, first lines are from the *new*
>>code)

[snip]