[Wrf-fire] Fwd: WRF-Fire released in WRF Version 3.3

Janice Coen janicec at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:03:21 MDT 2011

A few additions:

The User's Guide has indeed been updated to reflect the changes in
NCAR's V3.3 repository.  http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_V3/users_guide_chap-fire.htm

- In addition to some modifications Professor Mandel and collaborators
contributed to this release based on his November version, some
changes were made more recently that may affect your simulations, so I
am bringing them to your attention:

  -The default fuel loads for some of the Anderson fuel models were
altered to better reflect current understanding of the fuel components
that participate in fire spread.  if you prefer to use what you have
been using, you can replace those values in the fgi parameter in
namelist.fire with your own.

  - The atmospheric windspeed used in the fire rate of spread
calculations is now vertically interpolated using a pure log profile
to a height that you set (fire_wind_height) in namelist.input (the
default is   6.096 m).  The selection of a height can have a dramatic
effect upon your simulations, but what height is appropriate to use is
still a matter for research; the outdated 'midflame height'  concept
that was a part of the original Rothermel formula does not carry over
smoothly to the use of the Rothermal formula to relate rate of spread
to the atmospheric winds in coupled weather-fire models.   I have been
using fire_wind_height = 1  meter, as on average that is the top of my
fuelbeds.   A more rigorous treatment should be available in the next
release.

  - The backing rate of spread (the rate of spread when the wind is
blowing into the fire) (ros_back) has been distinguished from the Zero-
wind, no-slope rate of spread (ros_base). They had been used
interchangeably in a couple spots in V3.2 .

- 2 different idealized test cases have been supplied in test/em_fire

Best,
Janice

--
Janice Coen, Ph.D.