[Stoch] AGU session on Convection Aggregation, Organization, and Stochasticity

Brian Mapes bmapes at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Jul 8 18:19:43 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to attend and consider submitting an abstract to our session at the Fall AGU meeting, described below.
The deadline for submissions is August 5.
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/os/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=9095>S<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/os/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=9095>ubmit an abstract here

<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/os/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=9095>Best regards,

Steve Krueger, Marat Khairoutdinov, Brian Mapes, and David Randall

Convection and Global Modeling: Aggregation, Organization, and Stochasticity[page1image6856]

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/os/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=9095

Session ID#: 9095
Session Description: Most global climate models (GCMs) do not resolve deep convection, which must therefore be parameterized. Very few cumulus parameterizations for GCMs attempt to represent the effects of aggregation, organization, and stochasticity (AOS). GCMs that use the multiscale modeling framework are able to represent some of these effects by embedding a cloud-resolving model in each GCM grid column. We invite presentations of results
from studies of AOS in MMF-based GCMs, as well as results from conventional GCMs with cumulus parameterizations that attempt to represent AOS. We also encourage presentations of results from studies based on idealized cloud- resolving simulations that aim to better understand the physics of AOS and their impacts on the global circulation.

Primary Section/Focus Group: Atmospheric Sciences

Index Terms:

3314 Convective processes [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
3329 Mesoscale meteorology [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
3365 Subgrid-scale (SGS) parameterization [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]

3371 Tropical convection [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]

Conveners: Steven Krueger, Marat Khairoutdinov, Brian Mapes, David Randall