[pyngl-talk] Function similar to NCL's nggcog?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 19 10:32:19 MDT 2018

Hi Alyssa,

Normally I would suggest googling something like "great circle numpy" and
you are likely to find a number of functions that calculate the same thing
as NCL's nggcog.

However, as an exercise, since I knew the nggcog Fortran routine was pretty
short, I decided to see what it took to convert it to python. This routine
calls an internal Fortran routine called ngritd, so I had to convert that
too.

I didn't try to do this the "pythonic" way, using array arithmetic instead
of looping, because doing a line-by-line conversion was simply faster.

See the attached nggcog.py which defines both nggcog and ngritd and has
some driver code that generates and plot a great circle. I attached the NCL
version for comparison. You should be able to run these as-is:

python nggcog.py
ncl nggcog.ncl

I'm in the process of learning how to create Python versions of NCL
scripts, so this was a good exercise.  :-)

Note: the Python version of the nggcog routine is not tested, other than
this plotting program. You might want to look at the Fortran code yourself
to compare it with the Python code.

The Fortran routines can be found on github:

https://github.com/NCAR/ncl

and then navigate down to this path:

ncarg2d/src/libncarg/ngmisc

and the nggcog.f and ngridt.f Fortran code can be found on that page:

https://github.com/NCAR/ncl/tree/master/ncarg2d/src/libncarg/ngmisc

--Mary