[pyngl-talk] About using Pyngl/PyNio

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Mon May 15 13:38:02 MDT 2017

Hi Judy,

There are several ways to get around having to execute “source activate pyn_test” every time you wish to use PyNIO. In my opinion, the best solution that still provides the benefits of using conda (namely, being able to switch environments) would be to simply append “source activate pyn_test” to your ~/.bashrc file.

Alternatively, you could explicitly add the pyn_test environment’s bin directory to your path, for example:
export PATH=$HOME/miniconda2/envs/pyn_test/bin:$PATH

I haven’t used this method before, but I’d be concerned about conda not working correctly without the “$HOME/miniconda2/bin” directory also being included in your path (AFTER the environment directory).

Finally, you could theoretically install PyNIO into the “root” conda environment (which does not require “activation”) using the command:
conda install -n root -c conda-forge pynio

The issue with this option is that if you try to install multiple packages from different channels into the root environment, you can run into version conflicts between packages. As such, unless you’re feeling adventurous I would recommend avoiding this solution and try one of the first two.

I hope this helps!
Kevin