[pyngl-talk] Help with PyNIO installation

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 7 12:37:03 MST 2016

Hi,

Is there any chance you could possibly use Anaconda/Miniconda on these virtual machines instead of Enthought Canopy? As far as I am aware, there is no easy way for us to create and distribute a version of our software that is built against Enthought Canopy’s libraries.

However, we do have up-to-date versions PyNGL and PyNIO (and NCL) available on the "conda-forge” Anaconda channel, which also hosts many other commonly used scientific packages (including pygrib!). Unfortunately, Anaconda and Enthought Canopy may not be compatible; in order for Anaconda to work properly, its provided python needs to be the “default” python.

We have information regarding the installation of Anaconda/Miniconda on the PyNGL/PyNIO download page: https://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/ <https://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/>

In order to use the recommended "conda-forge" versions (different from the example on the linked page), create a conda environment using a command such as:
conda create --name <env_name> --channel conda-forge pynio pyngl

and then activate the environment:
source activate <env_name>

Note that “<env_name>” can be whatever you would like your conda environment to be named; for example, the linked documentation above uses “pyn_test”.

If using Anaconda/Miniconda is not possible, then we will have to further troubleshoot building PyNIO from source code.

Please let us know if this information helps!

Thanks,
Kevin