[pyngl-talk] delegation, division of labor, packaging, was: netcdf4-python vs PyNIO

White, George George.White at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Tue Jun 30 12:26:34 MDT 2015

A few remarks, tempered by "the current economic and political realities" (TCEPR) which include fact that many current users are approaching the ages of dementia and/or retirement and that replacements may arrive long after the former occupant of the position can offer assistance help

 Consolidation and rationalization of overlapping projects and robust packaging make  life easier for someone arriving fresh on the scene, but may force them to learn unfamiliar API's and packaging schemes.

>> 1. PyNIO should delegate basic netCDF4 support to netcdf4-python.

We have seen many efforts to provide hdf5 and or netcdf support for various platforms.  Many of these efforts have focused on the immediate requirements of the developers and don't attempt to cover all the edges cases or are encounter constructs that are difficult to implement properly in the chosen platform.   API's and packaging may vary according to developer preferences, prior experiences, and interests.   New users may prefer API's that resemble those they have used in the past, e.g., Matlab, R, Java, etc. or that are packaged in a way where they have prior experience.

Many API's have multiple layers, a simplified model that makes it easy to do simple things, and an more complex model that makes it possible to do the hard stuff.  Maybe this can be extended to layers that make it easier for Matlab (numpy), R (pandas), etc. users to accomplish tasks.

>> 2. PyNIO should focus on supporting additional/non-netCDF formats.

  a. Merging HDF5 support into netcdf4-python:

There are reasons to keep hdf5 separate from netcdf4.  The former is powerful but complex.  NetCDF4 provides a simpler data model that works well for a large user base.   TCEPR implies very long lags in propagating changes.  Some things may be done
In hdf5 and only after they have proven useful in lots of use cases should they move into NetCDF4.

  b.  Support for legacy formats:

My feeling is that many groups would like to adopt NetCDF4/HDF5 if not for TCEPR.   Lack of familiarity and uncertainty over
long-term support for new formats inhibit change, but here is also the need to keep legacy systems going because TCEPR prohibit replacement of system that are currently doing a satisfactory job.   Having tools that support a broad range of
legacy or special-purpose formats can help build a community of users with diverse backgrounds, expertise, and experience.

>> 3. PyNIO should adopt netcdf4-python as a dependency.

If this simplifies the installer, it could be a win even very little of the current netcdf4-python is actually used.