[Proflist] New PowerPoint on Climatic Impacts of Nuclear War

Alan Robock robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 10 11:22:11 MDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

A nuclear war between India and Pakistan, using 50 Hiroshima-size bombs each,
less than 0.3% of the global nuclear arsenal, would produce climate change
unprecedented in human history.  Although the number of American and Russian
nuclear weapons has declined to 1/3 of the peak number in the 1980s, a nuclear
war between these superpowers could still produce nuclear winter, and the
effects would last for more than a decade.

These are the results of new work on the climatic consequences of nuclear
conflict carried out by myself, Brian Toon, Rich Turco, Gera Stenchikov, Luke
Oman, and Chuck Bardeen.  So I have updated my PowerPoint on nuclear winter,
which I made available two years ago, and posted it on

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/nuclear/

which also has an introductory PowerPoint by Brian Toon and pdf copies of all
our papers on the science and policy aspects of this subject, including one in
Science.

Please use my PowerPoint for teaching and other talks.  It contains a complete
update to nuclear winter theory and you can edit it for only the parts of
interest.  I also welcome any comments on the presentation or the work.

You can download the older nuclear winter PowerPoint, which presents the
history of the subject and the state of the art as of two years ago, from my
home page at

http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock

Sincerely,
Alan Robock

Alan Robock, Professor II
   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock