[Oppslist] Geoscience and the 21st Century Workforce: Considering undergraduate programs in the context of changing employment opportunities

Michelle Flores michelle at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 11 11:25:13 MST 2013

*Geoscience and the 21st Century Workforce:
Considering undergraduate programs in the context of changing employment
opportunities*

*Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
June 26-28, 2013 *

Application Deadline: February 22, 2013

Geoscience knowledge and skills play new roles in the workforce as our
society addresses the challenges of living safely and sustainably on the
planet. As a result, we expect a wider range of career opportunities for
students in the geosciences and related fields. This workshop will focus
on identifying and articulating pathways to different types of employment.

The workshop will feature invited representatives from several fields of
employment, such as energy, environmental remediation, policy, business
and management, and non-profit work.

This workshop is aimed at leaders of programs with a significant
geoscience component including those in environmental studies,
sustainability, and all aspects of geoscience.As part of the workshop,
we will articulate learning outcomes and skills of various programs and
describe how these relate to employer needs. We will also synthesize the
groups recommendations for how to best prepare today's students to
address environmental and resource challenges.

This workshop is open to 30 representatives of academic programs (by
application). There is no registration fee to attend. More information
can be found on the workshop website at
http://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/workshops/workforce2013/index.html,
and questions can be directed to Cathy Manduca (cmanduca at carleton.edu
<http://carleton.edu/>).

Please forward this announcement to interested colleagues.