[Nsa] Forging Allies and Connections for Equity in STEM

Andrew Newman anewman at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 10 13:31:04 MDT 2020

Hi everyone,

On behalf of the Forging Allies and Connections for Equity in STEM (FACES)
team, please consider the following:

"We are emailing to let you know of a new grassroots initiative called
Forging Allies and Connections for Equity in STEM (FACES). The focus on
STEM roles originated from the low attendance of STEM staff in DEI
activities (e.g., the 2019 DEI summit meeting, Women's Listening sessions,
Dec 2019). FACES’ mission is to engage STEM staff at all career stages in
actively enhancing inclusion and all-staff wellbeing. FACES’ goal is to
establish a community of Allies across NCAR|UCAR maintained through
regularly available meet-ups.

The FACES team is currently composed of volunteer Associate, Project, and
Ladder-Track Scientists from RAL and MMM, and works closely with the UCAR
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI). The project charter
(attached) was approved by ODEI in March 2020 and describes what we
envision for the initiative. We presented the initiative to the NCAR
Executive Committee on April 21 and received tremendous support. We would
like to extend the invitation to other members of the NSA to join the FACES
team, which will help increase the representation from across NCAR|UCAR.
Our plan is to include at least one STEM-staff representative from each
lab/program. It is important that we ask staff with STEM-based jobs to get
involved with FACES because STEM staff in our organization are particularly
inactive in UCAR’s DEI activities, as brought to light by their notably low
attendance in past DEI events. Lab representatives will join the FACES team
to help lead and implement the initiative."

There are upcoming informational meetings across the labs this month.
Please email the FACES team at faces at ucar.edu if you are interested in
FACES and/or attending any of the meetings below.

CGD, HAO - Friday 7/10 at 2 P.M.
RAL, MMM - Wed 7/15 at 3 P.M.
UCP, CISL - Friday 7/17 at 2 P.M.
E&O, ACOM, EOL - Friday 7/24 at 2 P.M.