[Nsa] Input to NCAR Director Search Process

Andrew Gettelman andrew at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:36:57 MDT 2018

*Dear Colleagues,As you know, NCAR is in the process of searching for a new
director. The NCAR Scientists Assembly (NSA) has been invited by the UCAR
Director, Tony Busalacchi, to provide input to that process over the next
month. Please read on for the plans, and how you can be involved. This will
be the major pathway for NCAR scientific staff to provide input to the
process. The NSA will be given the opportunity to pose questions to the
final candidates for the NCAR Director during on-site interviews. These
will be conducted by the NSA Executive Committee (EC), which has members
from each of the NCAR Laboratories, representing a range of job classes and
levels. We will use a common list of questions. After the visit, we will
provide input and a collective perspective. The NSA EC would like this
process to be as open as possible to incorporate as many diverse
perspectives as we can. Our plan is to (A) solicit questions through
several methods before interviews and (B) Present our notes and impressions
of the interviews to the whole NSA to collect feedback. We will describe
the process in more detail and answer any questions on the NCAR Director
search process and the NSA role in it during an information and feedback
session: Monday, September 24th, 10a NCAR Mesa Lab main seminar room. We
will webcast this for other campuses (but not for feedback). We will begin
the process right now by soliciting suggested interview questions between
now and Friday, September 28, 2018. This can be done in 3 ways: 1. Via a
Google Drive Document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mCUYEFiP_Uj1hM33-Ral12hq8kJl6FzjablelY1mzu8/edit?usp=sharing>2.
Direct Email to an NSA EC Member (see below)3. In person at the information
session noted above (Monday, September 24th, 10a NCAR Mesa Lab main seminar
room)The document will require a UCAR email address. Please let me know if
you cannot access it. Please note that this is the main process for
providing input and feedback on the NCAR director search, and we urge you
to participate. We are happy to take questions, comments or concerns about
the process or about specific questions at any time. Regards,AndrewOn
behalf of the NSA Executive Committee:Jimy Dudhia (MMM) dudhia at ucar.edu
<dudhia at ucar.edu>Natasha Flyer (CISL) flyer at ucar.edu <flyer at ucar.edu>Franke
Flocke (ACOM) ffl at ucar.edu <ffl at ucar.edu>Andrew Newman (RAL)
anewman at ucar.edu <anewman at ucar.edu> Britton Stephens (EOL)
stephens at ucar.edu <stephens at ucar.edu>Rachel McCrary (CISL, ECSA), Co-Chair
rmccrary at ucar.edu <rmccrary at ucar.edu>Andrew Gettelman (CGD, ACD), Co-Chair
andrew at ucar.edu <andrew at ucar.edu>Rebecca Centeno (HAO) rce at ucar.edu
<rce at ucar.edu>*

Dr. Andrew Gettelman   andrew at ucar.edu
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/andrew/
+1.303.497.1887
National Center For Atmospheric Research
3090 Center Green Drive,
Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA