[Nsa] Whitepaper on NCAR Salary Support on NSF-Wide Initiatives

Roger M. Wakimoto wakimoto at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 30 07:38:36 MDT 2012

Dear NSA,

There has been a greater emphasis on funding for NCAR via NSF-wide
initiatives versus an augmentation to our base support.  Unfortunately,
these initiatives have also been accompanied by salary restrictions for
the scientific staff.  I recognize that this is a very important issue
for all of us and, as a result, we have brought this topic up to AGS
staff at every possible opportunity.  Michael Morgan recently requested
that NCAR submit a white paper justifying this salary support and
propose a path forward. The Executive Committee worked extensively on
this document and identified the key issues/concerns while also trying
to be constructive by proposing possible solutions.

The write-up can be found at the follow UCAS password protected web site:

https://ncar.ucar.edu/for-staff/whitepaper/salary-support

I was aware of the NSA survey to solicit feedback from the staff
regarding this issue but your deadline and time to consolidate the
However, we will endeavor to add any concerns that have not been covered
in the current version of the white paper.

Please let us know if you have any feedback.  This information can be
submitted via several mechanisms - contacting 1) your lab/observatory
director; 2) your NSA Science Advisor - Bette Otto-Bliesner; 3) your
Internal Science Advisory Committee member, 4) your NSA Executive
Committee Co-Chairs - Simone Tilmes/Matthias Steiner or 5) me.

Roger

Internal Science Advisory Committee Members
      HAO - BC Low, Chair
      CISL - Jeff Anderson
      EOL - Al Cooper
      RAL - Paty Romero Lankao
      NESL/CGD - Joanie Kleypas
      NESL/ACD - Jean-Francois Lamarque
      NESL/MMM - Morris Weisman
      NSA Science Advisor - Bette Otto-Bliesner

--
Roger M. Wakimoto, Director
NCAR