[Nsa] NSA general meeting on science communications: Monday 31, 2001

tilmes at ucar.edu tilmes at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:56:37 MST 2011

Dear all,

this is a reminder for the upcoming NCAR Scientist Assembly General
Meeting on science and communication:

Monday, January 31, 2011
CG-1, Center Auditorium
09:30 a.m. - Refreshments
10:00 a.m. - General NSA Meeting

For those who can't make it, we set up a ReadyTalk Meeting, which
allows you to dial-in from outside and also see the presentations
online. Information how to log into ReadyTalk will be send out in a
separate email.

Agenda for the meeting:

David Hosansky will give a presentation on science communications:
   1) Recent initiatives in climate communications
   2) The changing media landscape and the role of the Communications
Office in helping navigate it
   3) Tips on how to get your message across effectively based on
research in psychology of
communications

Meg McClellan will talk about email and data confidentiality and some
basics of First
Amendment, defamation and FOIA/sunshine laws that affect our communications.

Cindy Schmidt will talk about
   1)  leadership changes in key congressional committees and possible
implications for
science
   2)  the possible line-up of relevant hearings to be held during the
112th Congress
   3)  suggestions for how to handle hearing testimony if called upon
(and how this extends
to possible conversations with policy makers)
   4)  the UCAR community's approach to advocacy activity for the
112th Congress

The presentations will be about 45 minutes followed by a discussion.

Hope you can make it,

Simone Tilmes and Gang Lu