[Nsa] Qualifications for the NCAR Director and draft set of questions for candidates

pouquet at ucar.edu pouquet at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 7 01:27:35 MDT 2008

Quoting Rick Anthes <anthes at ucar.edu>:

> Thanks B.C., for your thoughtful remarks.  I am sharing them with the
> full search committee.
>
> I agree strongly that we need science more than ever now to understand
> Earth and apply this understanding for the benefit of society.  There
> is a view out there that the science of climate change is done, the
> verdict is in, and we just need to get on with "fixing it."  I think
> this is very dangerous, and there is so much we don't know.  I have
> tried to make this point in various forums lately, including testimony
> this week at the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice
> and Science, where NSF, NASA and NOAA reside.  I thought I'd share my
> oral testimony with you.  Apparently it went over pretty well.
>
> Best wishes,
> Rick
>
> B.C. Low wrote:
>>
>> Dear Rick,
>>
>> I do resonate with the inputs from Beth Holland.  There are two
>> aspects that seem very important to me.  What we lay down as
>> criteria and who happen to have applied for the position can be
>> quite separate. A search process can be very successful if the
>> applicant pool is sufficiently rich for us to see the actual
>> dimensions of these criteria through the real people who have
>> applied.  From that perspective, I feel the following
>> considerations are essential.
>>
>> I would like to see an NCAR Director who is foremost an
>> accomplished scientist, having done first class scientific work and
>>  being recognized for it.  The single central criterion for being a
>>  Senior Scientist at NCAR is scientific excellence, and the NCAR
>> Director should meet that criterion at the highest level among us.
>>  Such a Director will bring the scientific best out of us.
>>
>> Beth's concern about scientific integrity is worth watching out
>> for. Integrity is harder to practice than people are willing to
>> admit and in the complexity of our evolved scientific community, we
>>  are actually easily challenged on it by the things we run into
>> each  day.  Having the talents and opportunity to have done first
>> class  scientific work is the base upon which an individual sees
>> directly  the value and motivation to practice integrity.  An NCAR
>> Director  of well known integrity can bring the best out of us on
>> this count.
>>
>> We of course want more than an excellent scientist for a Director.
>>  He or she must have a broad vision of what our scientific
>> institute  is about; an understanding of how that vision might be
>> realistic in  the way things are; and, an outstanding set of
>> demonstrable  leadership and administrative abilities the job
>> demands.  We cannot  compromise on either counts, (a) scientific
>> accomplishment and (b)  community and administrative leadership.
>>
>> Global Change is now accepted to be real by the world community.
>> There is a lot of hard core science to do and a lot of interaction
>> with policy bodies and the public to conduct.  If we think all that
> [...]

How much I agree with ``the science is not done'' cannot be
overemphasized, I have met with this attitude (that it is done and now
we have to solve the societal problems) INCLUDING among scientists in
other fields (physics, ...); that is where I got a bit scared

WHen in fact we need to do the urgent science of ``regional'' climate
(in space and in time) and the weather -related topics
I am stating the obvious but at times I have felt the need to state
the obvious: we need plenty of smart people to do plenty of difficult
science, and we need a Director who fully understands that all facets
of science need to be there and strongly supported

Annick