[nclpy-group] Thoughts on changing NCL's default map database to "MediumRes"

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:57:09 MDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Alan Brammer <abrammer at albany.edu> wrote:

> 2) Could gsn_csm_contour_map and its siblings default
> mp(Min/Max)(Lat/Lon)F to the bounds of the data?
>

> 2) I've often thought about this myself. It's annoying when you have a
> regional plot and you get a global plot.
>
> This is a major change to the default behavior, however, and we would have
> to consider this very carefully before moving forward with it.  Perhaps as
> an interim solution, we can offer up a new logical resource that tells NCL
> to crop the map based on the lat/lon values provided by the user, so at
> least you only have one resource to set instead of four.
>

> I also find this annoying but rather than change the default or existing
> features.
> Could you add another option to mpLimitMode as “Data” which sets the
> limits to the data extents.
> Makes it a quick thing to type out without having to manually set the
> extents and doesn’t (shouldn’t) break anything existing.

​That's a good idea to use an existing resource. I've added this to our
ticket.

​

> 3)  Similar to this discussion, is there any feasibility to have a
> “defaults” file where the user could change some of these options?
> I have tons of repeat resources in every script, which just change font
> sizes etc and I pretty much always change them to the same value.
> I personally also will willingly take the time hit to have nice
> coastlines.  Globally these things probably shouldn’t be changed, but if
> the user could set their own defaults it could be quite nice.

​We sort of have this already with the ".hluresfile". However, with
something like a font height, this usually gets controlled by the "plot
manager", which is trying to manage all elements of a plot if you resize
it.

We have a separate ticket just for font heights alone (NCL-194), because
we've had many people ask how they can set a fixed font size regardless of
the size of everything else.  I've added your comments to this ticket which
will help "elevate" it.  I agree that we need something that allows you to
"fix" the font size for all plot elements.

--Mary
​