[ncl-talk] setting of eof in NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 20 22:01:01 MDT 2018

Hi Arnold,

Rick is correct in his reasoning about the opt argument: It needs to be set
to True in order for any possible attributes to take effect. I verified
that this is what the code for eofunc and eofunc_ts is doing under the hood.

So, for example, if you set:

optETS      = True
optETS at jopt = 1

and then call eofunc or eofunc_ts with optETS, then jopt will be set to 1
and has some special meaning to both routines (that is different for both
routines).

If, however you set:

optETS      = False
optETS at jopt = 1

then it doesn't matter what jopt is set to, because it will be ignored,
given that optETS is False. In the above case, then jopt will default to 0.

Hope this clears the air a little.

--Mary