[ncl-talk] WRF Cross-section Plot - Terrain Depiction and Lowest Level Data Contours

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 05:22:19 MST 2018

Hi Scott:

I am curious if you are able to set the cross section to appear where you
want it, or if you are able to modify the width (cross-sectional extent)?

If not, I can send you my cross-section code that does all that.

Barry Lynn

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 1:55 AM, Bill Ladwig via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> My first guess is that the vertical levels for interpolation are too large
> (not your fault). The interpolation algorithm automatically chooses
> vertical levels at .01*z_max. In your case z_max is 20251.8 m, which means
> your interpolation levels are at 202.5 m per grid box. This is probably too
> large for what you're interested in looking at.
>
> As a first attempt to fix, let's edit your WRFUserARW.ncl.
>
> At line 383, change this:
>
> dz = 0.01 * z_max
>>

> to this:
>
> dz = 0.0025 * z_max
>

> If this doesn't help your situation, I'll need to dig in to this a bit
> more.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bill
>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:04 PM, Scott Capps via ncl-talk <
> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have some questions about the cross-section plots from WRF output.  I
>> basically started from the example scripts at:  http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/
>> wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/CROSS_SECTION/wrf_
>> CrossSection_smooth4.htm
>>
>> The whitespace along the terrain height is much too large and the terrain
>> is too coarse (this is a 667m resolution WRF run) or the lowest level
>> atmospheric data is not being contoured correctly.  The cross-section
>> plotting routine in GRaDs seems to show true the resolution of terrain and
>> terrain following data.  Is there a way to improve this in NCL?
>>
>> I have attached some code (cross_sxn_plot_test.ncl and modified
>> WRFUserARW.ncl) and have ftp'd an example wrfout file to the incoming
>> directory as:  wrfout_d05_2017-10-09_00:00:00.nc
>>

>> NCL v6.3.0
>> http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Exa
>> mples/CROSS_SECTION/wrf_CrossSection_smooth4.htm
>>
>> --
>> *Scott Capps*
>> Principal
>> Atmospheric Data Solutions <http://www.atmosphericdatasolutions.com>