[ncl-talk] Wondering why frame size is changing

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 26 14:12:01 MST 2018

One thing I'd like to add: the main title can be moved closer to the plot
by setting:

res at pmTitleZone = 4

There's some complicated code under the hood that NCL uses to try to figure
out the proper position of the main title, based on whether or not the top
axis has tickmark labels and/or tickmark lines.  Sometimes it gets this
wrong, and this "zone" resource allows you to fix this. You may need to
play with the number (zone=0 is the center of the plot, zone=1 is a special
zone, zone=2 is just outside the plot, zone=3 is further outside the plot,
etc.)

If you want to read more about zones, see:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/PlotManager.shtml#PlotManager-Location-Control-Model

--Mary