[ncl-talk] NCL Plotting

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 00:24:06 MST 2018

Here is how you do it.

  vecres                  = True            ; vector only resources

  vecres at gsnDraw          = False           ; don't draw

  vecres at gsnFrame         = False           ; don't advance frame

  vecres at vcGlyphStyle     = "CurlyVector"   ; curly vectors

  vecres at vcRefMagnitudeF  = 20              ; define vector ref mag

  vecres at vcRefLengthF     = 0.045           ; define length of vec ref

  vecres at gsnRightString   = " "             ; turn off right string

  vecres at gsnLeftString    = " "             ; turn off left string

  vecres at tiXAxisString    = " "             ; turn off axis label

  vecres at vcRefAnnoOrthogonalPosF = -0.17    ; move ref vector into  plot

  vecres at gsnAddCyclic          = False          ; we will manually zoom in.

  plotB  = gsn_csm_vector(wks,u_new(::4,::4),v_new(::4,::4),vecres)

Then, you can overlay it onto another plot like temperature.

panres = True

panres at gsnMaximize = True

panres at gsnPanelRight = 0.98

panres at gsnPanelLeft  = 0.02

panres at gsnPaperOrientation="Portrait"

overlay(plot,plotB)

gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/1,1/),panres)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:53 AM, Ankita Sharma <ankita at iiserb.ac.in> wrote:

> ​​How to use "skip 4" in NCL? or How to skip vectors into grids?

Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
Senior Lecturer,
The Institute of the Earth Science,
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem,