[ncl-talk] how can I write large float value with e scientific notation?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 12 09:25:16 MDT 2017

Hi Beáta,

I would suggest copying the taylor_metrics_table.ncl function to the top of
your script, and rename it. Then, you can modify it as you like and call it
within your main script.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/taylor_metrics_table.ncl

The line that is causing your issue is this line:
gsn_text_ndc(wks,sprintf("%4.3f",values(icase,iseas,im)),ixtbox,iytbox,
mv_tRes)

Following Michael's suggestion, you could put in an if statement like this:
if (values(icase,iseas,im).gt.100000) then
   gsn_text_ndc(wks,sprintf("%4.2g",values(icase,iseas,im)),ixtbox,iytbox,
mv_tRes)
else
   gsn_text_ndc(wks,sprintf("%4.3f",values(icase,iseas,im)),ixtbox,iytbox,
mv_tRes)
end if

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Beáta Szabó-Takács <szabo.b at czechglobe.cz>
wrote:

> Dear Michael,
> Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it does not work because the
> values can be only numeric in taylor_metric_table.ncl.
> Best regards,
> Beáta

Adam Phillips
www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/   303-497-1726 <(303)%20497-1726>