[ncl-talk] Program that reads Instantaneous Precipitation from NW&CT

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 31 09:46:54 MDT 2017

Barry,

The reason you have white space between your plots is because you set a
resource to add extra white space:

    pnlres at gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent = 13       ; Add white space b/w
plots.

The default of this resource is 5, so 13 is more than double.  You can
either not set this resource, or try setting it to 0 to have no space.

--Mary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:30 PM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> When I tried to attach the maps together, I got the error below. I am not
> really able now to investigate this further, as my main goal for an
> upcoming meeting was to make the attached set of maps.  It was also unclear
> to me if I need to list all panels (0, to 5, I assume), and how they would
> line up on the page (3 on top and 3 on the bottom?).  Maybe the error is
> because plots_dbz is defined as 6 members, but there are the other
> questions, and I can't continue at the moment.
>
>   _FillValue : 9.96921e+36
>
> (0) MaxMin before contour
>
> (0) min=0.002   max=4.088
>
> (0) Warning: gsn_attach_plots: the base plot is either spherical or
> triangular, so can't fix the tickmarks
>
> *** glibc detected *** ncl: realloc(): invalid next size:
> 0x000000000b115710 ***
>
> *** glibc detected *** ncl: malloc(): smallbin double linked list
> corrupted: 0x000000000b6996a0 ***
>
>  have attached 6 "DPR.nc" files in case this subject interests you further.
>

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> A few comments.
>>
>> (a) Nice plots
>> (b) The plots have, as the main title:
>>        pnlres at txString                   = "Instantaneous Precipitation
>> (in/h)"
>>
>> (c) Why do you want the following redundant info on each figure?
>>        dbres at gsnLeftString      = "Instantaneous Precipitation"
>>        dbres at gsnRightString      = "in/h"
>>      I suggest removing them.
>>
>>      If the 'dbz_sub' has a  'long_name' or 'description' or 'units'
>> atributes, delete then
>>        delete( [/ dbz_sub at long_name, dbz_sub at units/] )   ; if present
>>
>> (d) Most (?all?) journals want minimal unused space on figures, I'd
>> minimize the blank space.
>>
>> (e) The individual file names for each plot are necessary. The script
>> uses:
>>        dbres at tiMainString      = filename
>>       Maybe, not using the tiMainString resource but rather
>>        dpres at gsnCenterString = filename
>>
>>  (f) Finally, 'for fun', See the figure associated with
>>        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/indices.shtml
>>        index_amo_1.ncl
>> <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/index_amo_1.ncl>
>>
>>        This example uses:
>>           ... at gsnAttachPlotsXAxis = True
>>
>>        Your figures could possibly use;
>>              @gsnAttachPlotsYAxis = True
>>
>> Just sayin'    :-)

>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have attached the program that Mary nudged along.
>>>
>>> It was necessary to "grab" (->) the variables from within the file
>>> before using the commands such as PrintVarSummary (this is pretty basic,
>>> but somehow I had overlooked this), and to rid the "dipr" variable of NaNs
>>> before accessing the file.
>>>
>>> It now makes images of instantaneous precipitation with the radar
>>> location as the origin (example attached).

>>> P.S: It also sets cmap to output white as the first "color" in the color