[ncl-talk] NCL Issue: write_matrix() file output

David Ross rossdl2 at appstate.edu
Mon Oct 23 11:51:59 MDT 2017

Hello,

I am a new user to NCL, at Appalachian State University in NC. Our research
group is interested in exporting formatted tables of WRF output data into a
standard ascii text file. I will use a simplified example matrix, as
building the real one requires WRF output files and a complicated loop
structure. My issue is specifically with the write_matrix() command.

hd_array = generate_2d_array(20,20,-1,1,0,(/5,10/))
hd_dims = dimsizes(hd_array)

The matrix "hd_array" has been successfuly built and yields a nicely
formatted matrix to the standard output (terminal) with the code below:

fmtHD = str_concat((/tostring(hd_dims),"f5.2"/))
write_matrix(hd_array,fmtHD,False)

However, when the option is set to write the matrix to a text file, the
file "example.txt" comes up empty even though the command executes without
giving errors.

What am I missing here?

-David