[ncl-talk] Difficulty in handling pressure levels of WRF file

swati shewale shewaleswati16 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:01:06 MDT 2017

Dear All,

Generally as per meteorological conventions we have levels as
1000.00000
 925.00000
 850.00000
 700.00000
 600.00000
 500.00000
 400.00000
 300.00000
 200.00000
 150.00000
 100.00000

If I wish to plot winds at lower(e.g. 850hpa) and upper (e.g. 200hpa) level
from wrf output ...I am confused How should I take it out as It contains 41
levels  that to in different convention as

Dimensions and sizes:    [bottom_top | 41]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 6
  FieldType :    104
  MemoryOrder :    XYZ
  description :    perturbation pressure
  units :    Pa
  stagger :
  coordinates :    XLONG XLAT XTIME
(0)    1019.25
(1)    1002.555
(2)    980.5
(3)    951.6016
(4)    915.1172
(5)    871.9453
(6)    819.0078
(7)    761.7734
(8)    703.6641
(9)    652.6641
(10)    607.0469
(11)    548.5156
(12)    478.4102
(13)    417.0703
(14)    368.1445
(15)    327.9453
(16)    290.5938
(17)    256.6562
(18)    227.5391
(19)    202.4023
(20)    179.9609
(21)    159.1582
(22)    140.0508
(23)    122.7773
(24)    107.5449
(25)    94.12695
(26)    82.03711
(27)    70.95312
(28)    112.4355
(29)    95.51562
(30)    79.58496
(31)    65.37012
(32)    52.72754
(33)    41.6543
(34)    33.21875
(35)    26.0293
(36)    19.979
(37)    14.83105
(38)    9.903809
(39)    5.447266
(40)    1.466309

Could anybody suggest about the same or provide a link containing details
of pressure level conventions in wrf. Please find the attachment. it
contains result of ncdump (of my wrf file). Thank you