[ncl-talk] fatal:Variable (lbar_zone) is undefined

Ismail SEZEN sezenismail at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 17:34:04 MDT 2017

Hello,

NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0

I want to plot streamlines (gsn_csm_streamline_scalar_map) in panels (gs_panels) and remove the Labelbar and add PanelLabelBar. So, I started to play with the following settings.

    res at gsnOldLabelBar = False
    res at lbLabelBarOn  = False
    res at lbLabelsOn  = False

a) If I set all the values above to True, I get Labelbar below the plots in panels.
b) If gsnOldLabelBar = False and lbLabelBarOn = True, LabelBar is shown below plots and also I see some artifical x and y axis labels except latitude and longitudes.
c) If gsnOldLabelBar = True and lbLabelBarOn = False; NCL throws following error:

fatal:Variable (lbar_zone) is undefined

This error comes from the Line 12331 of gsn_csm.ncl file. See the code block at the end of this email. Something is wrong with the logic. It seems False and True logic is missing.

d) If I set all the values above to False, I don’t see LabelBar below plot but still I get artifical x and y axis labels like 0, 20, 40, 60 etc... (see the attached image)

The only way for me to remove LabelBars is comment the add_labelbar function in line 12331. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

; CODE BLOCK FROM gsn_csm.ncl
; Line —> 12320
    if(lbar_on.and.use_old_lbar)
      if(.not.infolabel_on)
        lbar_zone = 2
      else
        lbar_zone = 3
      end if
      lbres = get_res_eq(res2,(/"lb","pm"/))
    end if
    if(use_old_lbar)
      add_labelbar(wks,streamline_object,lbar_zone,font_height, \
                    "streamline",lbar_on,lbres)
    end if
    if(use_mgr_lbar)
      fix_labelbar(streamline_object,font_height,lbar_on,stres)
    end if