[ncl-talk] Here is the code for making a WRF file color bar whilte

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 06:47:22 MDT 2017

Hi:

I guess the problem is solved (or rather the way is solved).

I had to use gsn_csm, as there seems to be something in the WRF plotting
routines that prevents specifying the color bar as desired (as obtained
with gsn_csm routines for plotting observed radar data, for example).

Barry

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I am not sure if the projection is okay or not. I have attached the
> original map and my "zoomed" in map.
>
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> HI:
>>
>> I think I have isolated the problem.
>>
>> (And, as I wrote in the previous e-mail -- I am sorry you had to do extra
>> work to decipher the code I sent (the last e-mail was part of a chain, and
>> I should have repeated pertinent information within).
>>
>> Anyway, in the program attached, there is a line:
>>
>> gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow")
>>
>> when commented out, you get mod_2.pdf (shades of blue).  When
>> uncommented, you get mod.pdf (a color bar the same as the "incorrect" one
>> we tried to figure out yesterday in the original program).
>>
>> As noted, the mod.pdf has the same color bar as the one I mentioned
>> yesterday.  It is different than the color bar I get when plotting the
>> observations (previous e-mail).  However, the program that plots the radar
>> observations doesn't have the gfs_define_colormap -- yet it works fine
>> whether I use NCV_jet or define the colors explicitly.
>>
>> So, I think the issue is how to reference the color bar table when using
>> this WRF program.
>>
>> Thank you/Have a nice weekend,
>>
>> Barry
>>
>> P.S. I am plotting a random field, although I still read the file I sent
>> you yesterday.
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 5:02 AM, Barry Lynn <barry.h.lynn at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> HI Mary, Kevin:
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> I am sorry about the file, but the original one was 380 GB.  When I ran
>>> the program with just the file I uploaded, I just changed the file name,
>>> and outputted a single panel.  This was enough to see the problem, and I
>>> should have made this more clear in the *last *e-mail in the chain.
>>>
>>> Anyway, more important is that when I run your program on my computer
>>> with WPS 6.3, I get a different color bar.
>>>
>>> I get the same color bar as before: wrong.
>>>
>>> The strange thing is that if I ​
>>>  KOKX_V06_20130209_000138.nc
>>> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3E3GjUeKpBdYVEzN3ZxU0V2VHc/view?usp=drive_web>
>>> ​use the same color bar label in the program  that plots radar obs (I
>>> uploaded this in the first e-mail I sent), I get the correct color bar.
>>>
>>> I have uploaded one file with observed radar and modified the loop to
>>> plot a single panel (the others will be missing) -- if you want to compare
>>> programs.
>>>
>>> I hope this isn't too much of a conundrum!
>>>
>>> (P.S: I suppose I could try to modify the program that works to plot WRF
>>> data, instead.)
>>>
>>> [wrf at mn03 NAM_02_08_2013]$ which wps
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/which: no wps in (/usr/local/ncl/6.3.0/bin:/usr
>>> /local/ncl/6.2.1/bin:/usr/local/ncarg-4.4.2/bin:/opt/mvapich
>>> 2-x/intel/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/opt/inte
>>> l/composer_xe_2013_sp1.2.144/bin/intel64:/bin:/usr/bin:/