[ncl-talk] test if lat-lon point is within gridded model domain

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 21 11:34:13 MST 2017

Hi Mary,

I'm attaching both the mapgrid.png and another map of the domain I made
earlier from my own script. (The landmask plot was made from a wrfout file
that contained all the static fields, such as LANDMASK and HGT; the wrfout
files I'm reading in are subsetted with only a small number of variables to
minimize storage requirements.)

I have also written a demo script to show what I believe are bugs both in
the wrf_user_ll_to_ij and rcm2points_Wrap functions. That script points to
a sample wrfout and madis file on glade. I've attached that script here as
well. The wrf_user_ll_to_ij function returns nonsense (i,j) values for
(lon,lat) points outside the WRF domain. rcm2points also interpolates WRF
data to many of these points outside the WRF domain. I set up some print
statements in stages of thinning the data to progressively highlight the
problems with both functions.

Preferred behavior (from my perspective) would be to return missing values
for (lat,lon) points outside the WRF domain, both for wrf_user_ll_to_ij and
rcm2points. At the very least, wrf_user_ll_to_ij should not give
non-existing (i,j) coordinates. And rcm2points should only be an
interpolation function, not an extrapolation function.

Jared

Jared A. Lee, Ph.D.
Project Scientist I
Research Applications Laboratory