[ncl-talk] Canonical Correlation Analysis via Barnett and Preisendorfer (BPCCA)

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 13 08:28:45 MST 2017

*I have no comment on the Barnett & Priesendorfer canonical correlation.*
*Somebody else will have to comment.*

===
re: "... the built-in “cancor” (which fails often) ..."

This is true. There is an issue with NCL's 'cancor function.
In fact, there is a 'trouble ticket' on this from **2010**:
      JIRA 589: Possible bug in CANCOR

My recollection is that It works correctly for "smaller" array sizes but
fails when some critical size is reached.
Obviously,  investigating this issue has been put on the back-burner.
-----

FYI: NCL's canonical correlation function uses a 'double precision' version
of the f77 'SUBROUTINE CANOR' from the IBM Scientific Software Package
[SPP].scientific
library.

  http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/decuslib20-02/01/decus/20-
0026/canor.ssp.html

----
Actually, NCL has two hidden 'interfaces' between the NCL code and the f77
subroutine. :

  (a) a f77subroutine (written by me)
  (b) a C-language interface between the NCL code and the fortran interface
code (a)
----
**Maybe**, I will take a look

Cheers