[ncl-talk] How to get Lat/Lon values of MSLP

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Tue May 9 07:28:42 MDT 2017

Hey,
what you want to perform is a cyclone tracking. There are many examples on the NCL website regarding how to find the lot-lan indices of a multi-dimensional array (see Example 3 here https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/minind.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/minind.shtml>). You just have to develop something out of this.

Please note that if you want to track the cyclone movement you need to develop a conditional sampling that does not consider the entire domain when looking for the MSLP minimum. I suggest you to have a look at the relevant literature before starting to write a NCL script.

Mary is trying to publish one of my script that allows to track a cyclone directly from the output but we still need to adapt it. I'm attaching the script that I'm using for regular lat-lon grid but I believe it would take it more time for you to understand all my notations than to write your own :)

Good luck

> On 09 May 2017, at 15:19, Gaurav Tiwari <gaurav16 at iiserb.ac.in> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
> I want to get the Lat/Lon values of MSLP (i.e. eye of a hurricane) from a wrfout.nc <http://wrfout.nc/> file. Kindly let me know the procedure or if anyone have the script for the same please share with me.
>
> --Gaurav

> Gaurav Tiwari
> Research Scholar
> Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
> Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
> (IISER B)
> Bhopal- 462066, Madhya Pradesh
> Email: gaurav16 at iiserb.ac.in <mailto:saquib16 at iiserb.ac.in>
> Mob: +91-7471112407
> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gaurav-tiwari-bb36357a?trk=hp-identity-name>      Research gate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gaurav_Tiwari5>
>

> <image001.png> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista <http://guidocioni.altervista/>.org