[ncl-talk] from staggered grid field to interpolated unique grid field

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 30 08:11:44 MDT 2017

The Arakawa C-grid has the U, V and scalar (?T?) variables on separate
grids.

To *my* knowledge, the ESMF regrid package does not interpolate vector wind
components. Wind components should be interpolated together on the sphere.
The wind speed is conserved but the magnitudes of the wind components will
vary. For u and v on the same grid

  uNew = u*cos(rot) - v*sin(rot)    ; rot - rotation angle
  vNew = u*sin(rot) + v*cos(rot)

Actually, on the Arakawa C-grid, since u and v are on separate grids the
appropriate rotation angles would be different also.

---
What is the objective of the interpolation?

If it is 'just' graphics, then, maybe, interpolating the the V-grid and
U-grid separately to the T-grid would be acceptable.

---