[ncl-talk] or_extracted_ocean_data

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 13 08:42:26 MDT 2017

I have no idea why you would want ascii file(s). ASCII is the least
efficient method of storage.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/sprintf.shtml
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/asciiwrite.shtml

You may have to alter the format for the variable. Please read the sprintf
documentation.

  nval = num(.not.ismissing(data))                       ; number of
non-missinf values
  data_str = new(nval,"string","No_FillValue")     ; array for strings

; crudest/simplest/least-efficient method
; group by time

  nv = -1
  do nt=0,ntim-1
      do nl=0,nlat-1
          do ml=0,mlon-1
               if (.not.ismissing(data(nt,nl,ml))) then
                    nv = nv+1
                    data_str(nv) = sprintf("%10.3f", data&time(nt)) \
                                         + sprintf("%7.3f" , data&lat(nl))
   \
                                         + sprintf("%7.3f" , data&lon(ml))
  \
                                         + sprintf("%7.3f" ,
data(nt,nl,ml)   )
               end if   ; .not.(ismissing())
          end do      ; ml
        end do        ; nl
    end do            ; nt

   diro  = "./"
   filo   = "SST.txt"
   ptho = diro+filo

*   asciiwrite( ptho, data_str)*----------------------------

You may want to alter the order. For each grid point, a time series.
Group by grid point

     do nl=0,nlat-1
         do ml-0,mlon-1
             do nt=0,ntim-1