[ncl-talk] wrfout coordinate

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Wed Jun 7 11:19:58 MDT 2017

Hi Vanucia,

I'm not sure I understand what you are wanting to do.  In WRF, the latitude
and longitude coordinates are two-dimensional, since WRF uses curvilinear
coordinates.  Unless you are using a staggered variable, the coordinates
are stored in the XLAT and XLONG variables in the WRF output file.  (For
plotting in NCL, you can set the special lat2d and lon2d coordinate
variables to point to XLAT and XLONG, and NCL will know what to do).

As for creating the lat/lon coordinates, are you wanting to create the
coordinate variables from scratch, rather than just writing out the XLAT
and XLONG variables?  The NCL WRF routines have a wrf_ij_to_ll (
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_ij_to_ll.shtml)
that you could use to generate the lat/lon arrays if you supply the WRF map
projection parameters.  Another way to create the lat/lon arrays is to use
geogrid from WRF itself.  You would need to set the map projection that you
want, run geogrid, and grab the latitude and longitude arrays from the
geo_em.d01.nc file.

If this doesn't answer your question, can you clarify what you want to do,
and I'll try again.

Hope this helps,

Bill