[ncl-talk] update: weight option for taylor_stats

Yohei Takano yohei.takano at mpimet.mpg.de
Fri Jul 28 17:11:56 MDT 2017

Dear NCL users,
(update on previous e-mail and Dennis also cc’d some of the information couple hours ago but I will re-post)

 With Dennis’s support (thank you!), we figured out that
the error comes from the “wgt_areaave2” function opt used in taylor_stats.ncl.

—— from taylor_stats.ncl
[snip]
  else                                                       ; CURVILINEAR GRID: w[*][*]
       tmean   = wgt_areaave2(t, w, 1)      ; area weighted means
       rmean   = wgt_areaave2(r, w, 1)
[snip]

The last argument of the 'wgt_areaave2' function ' 'opt'  should be set to 0 not 1
——

 This will cause an error when using w (weight) with missing values. By changing the opt to 0,
it will resolve the problem. I will attach the updated taylor_stats.ncl Dennis provided.
 Using this, it should be able to calculate the statistics you need for curve-linear coordinate data
(with area weight).

 Thank you again for your support.

Yohei

Yohei Takano, Ph.D