[ncl-talk] Options in eofunc

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 20 08:21:13 MST 2017

???    There is no Example 7

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/eof.shtml

re: "I am not 100% sure what the third option (80.) means in this case"

I am not sure either!

===
That said, the last argument is prototypes as 'logical

function eofunc (
		data    : numeric,
		neval   : integer,
		optEOF  : logical   <======
	)

If the function is invoked as:
       $ evec= eofunc(ptw,neval,80.)

You should have received the following message

warning:Argument 2 of the current function or procedure was coerced to the
appropriate type and thus will not change if the function or procedure
modifies its value

The correct usage is:

optEOF       = True
optEOF at pcrit = 80
evec= eofunc(ptw,neval,optEOF)

Deep Background: NCL actually coerces (converts) the '80.' to a True.
However, since there are no optional arguments associated with this coerced
argument, it would operate as if the 'optEOF-False'