[ncl-talk] Radar data cross section, vertical resolution not right

Ryan Connelly rconne01 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:33:07 MST 2017

Using radx, I have a netcdf file of a single time of radar reflectivity
with the following dimensions:

Dimensions and sizes: [z0 | 99] x [y0 | 535] x [x0 | 535]
Coordinates:
            z0: [0.1..9.9]
            y0: [-267..267]
            x0: [-267..267]

There are 99 levels, as z spans 0.1 km to 10.0 km with a dz of 0.1 km.

I try to plot the xsec:
dbz_plane = wrf_user_intrp2d(rd_single_time(:,:,:),plane,0.,opts)

But the plot I get has a vertical resolution of 1.0 km, not 0.1 km.  See
attached.

Below is a snippet of the PrintVarSummary for dbz_plane:

Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [Time | 99] x [Horizontal | 135]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 3
  _FillValue : 9.96921e+36
  description :
  units : dBZ

This is curious.  Why has z0 remapped to Time?  And is this what's causing
my problem?

I plot by calling
plot =  gsn_csm_contour(wks,dbz_plane(0:98,:),radres)

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Connelly
M.S. Student in Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University
rconne01 at gmail.com
ryan.connelly at stonybrook.edu