[ncl-talk] Help : Error when extracting time from wrfout file

Sundar J wrf.guy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 02:04:43 MST 2017

Hi all,

This is my first try to generate MSLP chart with ncl. With the same data I
used to plot mslp using python earlier. Therefore, there is no issue with
the wrfout file.

I am on Ubuntu 6.10 with ncl version 6.3.0 installed (from the repo). I had
a script which does the plotting of sea level pressure. Evertime I run the
script I complain about the requirement of 'element'. The complete erroe
message produced in terminal is:-

 Copyright (C) 1995-2015 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.3.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

Variable: times
Type: string
Total Size: 104 bytes
            13 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:    [13]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 2
  description :    times in file
  _FillValue :    missing
(0)    2016-03-31_00:00:00
(1)    2016-03-31_06:00:00
(2)    2016-03-31_12:00:00
(3)    2016-03-31_18:00:00
(4)    2016-04-01_00:00:00
(5)    2016-04-01_06:00:00
(6)    2016-04-01_12:00:00
(7)    2016-04-01_18:00:00
(8)    2016-04-02_00:00:00
(9)    2016-04-02_06:00:00
(10)    2016-04-02_12:00:00
(11)    2016-04-02_18:00:00
(12)    2016-04-03_00:00:00

Variable: times
Type: string
Total Size: 104 bytes
            13 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:    [13]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 2
  _FillValue :    missing
  description :    times in file
fatal:Number of elements of dimension (0) of argument (0) is (13) in
function (systemfunc), expected (1) elements
fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 50 in file
sea-levs.ncl

The script I used is attached for your reference. It would be nice if any
one can point me in the right direction to solve the issue. I am unable to
move forward beyond this issue.

Regards.