[ncl-talk] temperature advection

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 23 22:51:10 MST 2017

If the *global* grid is oriented South-to-North ( think:
([at(n+1)-lat(n-1)] ), I am not aware of any rational for multiplying by
-1.

The highly accurate spherical harmonic functions are used to calculate the
gradients. They require global, rectilinear (eg, gaussian, 1x1, 2x3...)
grids which are ordered South-to-North.

To be explicit, the WRF grids are curvilinear not rectilinear. Further, as
noted in the referenced post, they are not global.

---
A side-point, the announced 6.3.0 function 'advect_variable' was
inadvertently released as 'advect_var'. You can see the code via (search
for 'advect_var')

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

In the *SOON* to be released 6.4.0, users can access the function using
'advect_var' or 'advect_variable'

-------

The  6.4.0 release will have:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/gradients.shtml

Note that this release will contain a new gradient function which will
allow gradients to be calculated on non-global grids. It uses less accurate
centered-finite-difference. The grids must be rectilinear and ordered
South-to-North

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/grad_latlon_cfd.shtml

Hence, you could calculate the regional (say) temperature [T]  gradients
dT/dlat, dT/dlon, then multiply by u, v to get the advection.