[ncl-talk] Wheeler Kiladi Spectrum

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 17 21:53:17 MDT 2017

The underlying fortran code uses FFTs at each latitude. It assumes the data
are global (cyclic in longitude). I am not sure you can modify the code to
do what you want.

If you work on non-global data, what does 'wave number' mean?

Here is a f77 code snippet:

c--------------------------------------------------------------------
c---------------COMPUTING SPACE-TIME SPECTRUM for EE1----------------

            DO T = 1, NT
               DO N = 1, NL
c CEEa(n) contains the grid values around a latitude circle
                  CEEA(N) = EE1(N,T)
               END DO
               CALL CFFTF (NL, CEEA, WSAVE1)
               DO N = 1, NL
c Normalize
                  EE1(N,T) = CEEA(N)/DBLE(NL)
               END DO
            END DO

c Now the array EE(n,t) contains the Fourier coefficients (in planetary
c wavenumber space) for each time.

            DO N = 1, NL
               DO T = 1, NT
c CEEb(t) contains a time-series of the coefficients for a single
c planetary zonal wavenumber
                  CEEB(T) = EE1(N,T)
               END DO
               CALL CFFTF (NT, CEEB, WSAVE2)
               DO T = 1, NT
C Normalize
                  EE1(N,T) = CEEB(T)/DBLE(NT)
               END DO
            END DO

c Now the array EE1(n,t) contains the space-time spectrum.

I do not think you can isolate a region for space-time spectra.