[ncl-talk] A question about wrf_map_overlay

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 2 12:50:03 MDT 2017

Dear Yan,

I think what you need to do is set:

pltres at PanelPlot = True

which signals to wrf_map_overlays that you plan to panel this plot later,
and hence it doesn't remove the contour plot from the map after it is
called.

You can then add your own map outlines to the returned plot from
wrf_map_overlays before paneling.

See example shapefiles_14.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex14

which adds shapefile outlines to a WRF overlays plot.

As for the SubFieldTitle size: most of the WRF special resources do not
allow much customization, as they are intended to be used in a "black box"
fashion. You can set the special FontHeightF resource, which is used as a
base font height for all titles.  Please see wrf_titles_4.ncl, which I just
updated to force the third frame to have larger titles:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/wrftitles.shtml#ex4

--Mary