[ncl-talk] Scripts for 1000-500mb thickness

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 2 07:42:55 MDT 2017

What data do you have available?
People are reluctant to get involved unless some information is provided.

Are the data on isobaric levels?
Are they gridded?
Station rawindsonde data?
What format?
etc

For (say) gridded NCEP Reanalysis on isobaric levels, the thickness would
simple:

   f = addfile("hgt....nc","r")   ; (time,lev,lat,lon)
   z = f->hgt
   thick = z(:,{500},:,:) - z(:,{1000},:,:)   ; (ntim,nlat,mlon)
   copy_VarCoords(z(:,0,:,:), thick)
   thick at long_name = "Thickness: 500-1000"
   thick at units            = z at units
   printVarSummary(thick)