[ncl-talk] commands to handle exponential calculation to return E100 instead of infinity

Yi-Chih Huang dscpln at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 05:27:36 MDT 2017

Hello,

    I work on NCL Version 6.1.2.  It said the range of double type is e-308
- e+307 on
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclDataTypes.shtml.
Although I have tried several ways, I only got infinity and 8 bits in
return.  Could you show me the command to handle exponential calculation

b10   = todouble(exp(230.84))
b20   = todouble(exp(203.22))
b30   = new(1,double,0)
print(b10+"  "+b20+"  "+b30)

Variable: b30
Type: double
Total Size: 8 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes:   [1]
Coordinates:

(0)     inf  inf  inf

$ ncl -v
Unknown option `-v'
 Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

    Thanks much,

                     Yi-Chih