[ncl-talk] Sim reflectivity not plotting

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:27:16 MDT 2016

Hi Ryan,

Here are a couple thoughts, that may or may not help.

1) Interpolating dbz (logarithmic data) using linear interpolation is
probably not the best idea.  I would convert dbz to linear Z, then perform
the interpolation, then convert back to dbz.  Note: Z = 10**(dbz/10.0)

2) Do a printVarSummary on dbz_plane and compare it to dbz to see if the
coordinates got dropped.  I can't remember off the top of my head if that's
going to happen.  Adding them back may fix your problem.

3) Note that the dbz produced by NCL is not identical to the result for
REFL_10CM, and I would choose REFL_10CM over the NCL dbz result if you have
it available.  This assumes you're using a microphysics scheme, like
Thompson, that can produce simulated radar reflectivity.  Otherwise, the
field will be 0s.

4) If all else fails, you can upload a file to our ftp via:

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
anonymous
<use your email address for the password>
cd incoming
put ...
put ...
.
.
.
quit

After you upload it, you can send me a message offline to let me know
the name of the file.  We can try to figure out what's going wrong.

Hope this helps,

Bill