[ncl-talk] Can't overlay maps on a NAM (native grid)

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 12:26:02 MST 2016

Hello:

I am trying to overlay the height field from the NAM on the relative
humidity.

I succeeded to zoom and project the NAM fields correctly, and I succeeded
to make two separate plots, both of which were projected correctly.

I consulted these two pages.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/lcnative_2.ncl

and:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/conOncon_2.ncl

I can create test.00001, and test.00002 using the attached ncl code.

However, I cannot create the overlay.

I try to do this using the last two lines of the code:

  overlay(contour_rh,contour_z)
  draw(contour_rh)

But, I get this error.

fatal:NhlAddOverlay: plot class mapPlotClass cannot be overlay plot member

If I try to change gsn_csm_contour_map to gsn_csm_contour to then invoke
the overlay procedure, I get:

warning:mpProjection is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
warning:mpLimitMode is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
warning:mpLeftCornerLonF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpRightCornerLonF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpLeftCornerLatF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpRightCornerLatF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpLambertMeridianF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpLambertParallel1F is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpLambertParallel2F is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpOutlineDrawOrder is not a valid resource in test_contour at this
time
warning:mpFillOn is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
warning:mpOutlineBoundarySets is not a valid resource in test_contour at
this time
fatal:NhlAddOverlay: plot class mapPlotClass cannot be overlay plot member

and the projection is lost.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Barry Lynn

--