[ncl-talk] execute a ncl script in crontab [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Griffith Young griffith.young at bom.gov.au
Mon Nov 14 16:58:17 MST 2016

I realise that this has been answered already, but I typed it and I may as well share it.

When you run a command from cron, you will have basic "sh" shell.

When you run from the terminal, you will have "bash" and you will probably have called .bashrc and .bash_profile.  These will have added to you PATH environment variable and other environment variables that NCL uses.

Often the simplest work-around is to create a script just for cron to call that will "source" your .bashrc (possible, but not recommended), or that sets the important environment variables for you (PATH,
NCL_ROOT, NCARG_ROOT, ...)

Another reason that your script may not work is that you start in your home directory when you run from cron.

Happy hunting.

Regards, Griff.

Griffith Young | SITOC

Research and Development Branch
Bureau of Meteorology
GPO Box 1289 Melbourne VIC 3001
Level 9, 700 Collins Street, Docklands VIC 3008
Tel: +61 3 9616 8381 | G.Young at bom.gov.au
www.bom.gov.au - cawcr.gov.au - poama.bom.gov.au

Message: 1