[ncl-talk] Opening a destination file

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 8 13:06:14 MST 2016

Barry,

The ESMF_regrid function creates three NetCDF files:

   - a source file (called source_grid_file.nc by default)
   - a destination file (destination_grid_file.nc)
   - a weights file (wrfout_temp_rect.nc in this script)

The error message is likely coming from ESMF_regrid trying to create the
file for writing, and not for reading. The error message is a little odd,
however, because it seems to indicate it doesn't recognize NetCDF as a file
format which is unlikely. Also, why did it give you an error on the
destination_grid_file.nc file, and not the source_grid_file.nc, which
should have been created first?

My first guess would be that the file can't be created, maybe because you
don't have write permissions in the directory where the script is being
executed, or maybe the file is too large.  But, the error message just
doesn't quite match those scenarios.

The other possible issue is that it is trying to create a NetCDF4 file, and
perhaps you don't have an NCL that is NetCDF4-enabled, but this doesn't
seem likely either.

Do you have a "source_grid_file.nc" in that directory that was created by
that script?

Can you tell me what version of NCL you have, so I can look up exactly what
line in ESMF_regridding.ncl it is failing on? It would also help if you
could email me the $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl
file.